Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Home fires are terrible events. They’re frightening, devastating, and often completely unexpected. You may feel overwhelmed and confused about which steps to take to get your home back to normal. SERVPRO® of Hunt Valley / Lutherville is here to help you with your fire damage cleanup and restoration needs. It doesn’t matter if you live in Towson North, Timonium, Lutherville, or anywhere else throughout the Hunt Valley, MD area, our professional team is here to help you restore your home.
SERVOPRO® of Hunt Valley / Lutherville provides many fire damage cleanup services. First, we immediately arrive to any kind of fire emergency. Our team will inspect and assess your home for fire damage, and then board up or tarp any spots in your home that same day. Next, we will remove or dry up any water damage present, and then perform smoke remediation processes that remove smoke and soot from your home’s surfaces. After that, we’ll do any final cleaning and repair that’s needed, before beginning the restoration process that will return your home to its preloss condition.
If you’ve recently had a home fire, please read our fire damage emergency tips. If you’re in White Hall, Monkton, Parkton, or anywhere else nearby, SERVPRO® is here for you! We know how stressful a home emergency like a fire can be, which is why SERVPRO® of Hunt Valley / Lutherville performs fast, high-quality service that gets your home back to feeling “Like it never even happened.”
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (410) 229-0012
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.